Wednesday 25 June 2014

Bhoplycha Bharit (Pumpkin raita)

Being brought up in Punjabi household means that a person ends up eating curd as many as three times a day....
Even the punjabi breakfast of stuffed parathas is incomplete without a bowl of fresh curd.

Raita (condiment made with yogurt/curd, served cold)  is also an essential part of Indian meal. It is served with sabji (cooked veggies with spices), pulao, rice etc.
I remember during childhood ,whenever my mom cooked a sabji which I particularly didn't like, raita would act as my savior. I would eat my chappatis (indian flat bread) with a huge bowl of raita. My mom used to make 3-4 types of raita to offer variety .
As I grew up, eating raita/curd became a  compulsion for me ;).I still look out for raita in a party or wedding buffet, imagine that!


This simple maharastrian recipe is for all curd/raita lovers....

Bhoplycha Bharit (Pumpkin raita)

Ingredients

1.Curd
2.Pumpkin
3.Salt to taste


For the seasoning
1.Mustard seeds(Rai)
2.Red whole chilly(one should be enough)
3.Turmeric powder(optional)
4.1 tsp cooking oil


Procedure
1.Wash,peel and cut the pumpkin in big cubes.
2.Boil the pumpkin in a pressure cooker.
3.Mash the boiled pumpkin, add curd to it.
4.Heat the oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds, red chilly,Turmeric powder and salt to it.
5.Add the seasoning to curd-pumpkin mixture and mix well.
6.Garnish with coriander leaves.

Enjoy the raita with any sabji. I enjoy it with steamed rice....

Tip: The original maharashtrian recipe has less of curd as compared to the usual raita ,add curd according to your liking.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, it's me!!

Hello Blog world, Its been two years since I posted on this blog, not sure if anyone follows me now.  Its a new year, best time to start /re...